Support For Families

The Kirklees Community Response helpline is open

We’ve opened a new dedicated helpline as part of our Covid-19 Community Response.

We’re working alongside our citizens and local organisations to make sure that together we can all support our neighbours and communities over the coming weeks. We’re working especially closely with local voluntary sector organisations through our partners at Volunteering Kirklees (part of Third Sector Leaders).

Together we’ve developed a co-ordinated Community Response, including a Kirklees Council helpline and online forms that anyone can use to either request help, or to offer support to others. Our response teams in local places will be matching requests for help with offers of support, so that we can work together to support the most vulnerable in our communities.

How to request support or offer support 

Anyone can let us know about the things they need help with, or that someone who they are concerned about might need help with. Individuals, organisations and businesses can also tell us about the support they may be able to offer to others.

The helpline is managed by Kirklees Direct and opened at 9am on Wednesday 25th March. It will initially be open from 8am to 6pm weekdays. We will review this daily. Citizens and organisations can share information with us online at any time.

Advice Kirklees

Provides free, confidential, impartial and independent advice in the Kirklees area.

T: 03448 487970 –

Citizens Advice

Online advice from Citizens Advice to help you find a way forward, whatever the problem.

National Debtline

A debt advice charity providing free help and advice on dealing with your debt.

T: 0808 808 4000 –

The Money Advice Service

An independent service, set up by government, providing free and impartial advice on managing your money.

Loan Sharks

If you spot a loan shark or you’ve borrowed money from one, you can report them anonymously to the Illegal Money Lending Hotline. T: 0300 555 2222

Kirklees Neighbourhood Housing Rent Assist

Money and debt advice for KNH tenants. T: 01484 414886

Council Tax

For support with paying and/or to agree alternative repayments before court action.

T: 01484 414900

Step Change Debt Charity

Free debt advice service and fee-free debt management to help you tackle your debts.

T: 0800 1381111

BetterOff Kirklees

Work out what benefits you might be entitled to and make an application.

Christians Against Poverty Debt Advice

Free debt counselling for anyone with a Huddersfield postcode.

T: 0800 328 0006 to book an appointment

Huddersfield Mission

Offering food, help and advice. Cafe Open: Monday to Thursday 9:00am – 4:00pm, Friday 9:00am – 2:00pm Advice Monday to Friday 10:00am – 2:00pm.

Kirklees Neighbourhood Housing can offer advice on:
  • Housing Benefit
  • Universal Credit
  • Discretionary Hardship Payments
  • Budgeting – to help make your money go further
  • Debt and bankruptcy
  • Benefits
  • Assistance to complete benefit applications, for example, Personal Independence Payment
  • Setting up a bank account
  • Grant applications
  • Avoiding illegal money lending and loan sharks
  • Affordable credit options

Contact KNH either online or 01484 414886.

Managing your Universal Credit

UC is a full digital service, all UC claims are managed online. You log on using a username and password and are able to:

  • View your account
  • Add or amend your details
  • Add or amend changes in circumstances
  • View payments details.

Phone: 01484 414886

The Welcome Centre Food Bank

How to get help.

We know that coming to a food bank can feel scary and is usually a last resort. If you need help from The Welcome Centre, here are a few simple steps to follow.

Step 1 -Get a referral
To get help from The Welcome Centre, you need a referral from a support worker or support professional. There are a few simple ways to do this.

  • If you already receive support from a service or professional, you can ask them to make a referral for you. This could be your GP, social worker, community psychiatric nurse or an agency such as housing services, Lifeline or Connexions.
  • You can telephone Kirklees Local Welfare Provision Team (LWP) on 01484 414782.  If you don’t have a phone to call LWP, there’s a free phone at the Customer Services reception, Civic Centre III, High Street, Huddersfield.
  • You can call in at Kirklees Citizens Advice & Law Centre (1 & 3 Brook Street, Huddersfield, HD1 1EB) between 9:30am and 3pm Monday to Friday, or at the Huddersfield Mission Cafe (3-13 Lord Street, Huddersfield HD1 1QA) between 10:00am and 1:30pm Monday to Friday. Both of these organisations have advice workers who can make a referral for you.

Step 2 – We’ll need some information

  • To receive a support pack we’ll need to ask your referrer some questions about why you need our support.
  • We know this can be a difficult time but we are here to help. Providing us with the information we need makes the process quicker.
  • We’ll ask about your dietary needs, how many people are in your family and what cooking facilities you have. We can make your packs right for your needs.
  • If you have allergies or don’t like something please let us know.

What to do if you’re worried about a child?

If you think a child in Kirklees is being abused or mistreated or you have concerns about a child’s well-being you should call and speak to someone at one of the following numbers:

Children’s Duty and Advice Team (9am to 5pm)     01484 456848
If you have an immediate concern for a child’s safety, call 999

Children’s Health

Thriving Kirklees is a partnership of local health and wellbeing providers working together to support children, young people and their families to thrive and be healthy. 

The partnership covers services including:

  • 0-19 Team (health visiting and school nursing)
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)
  • Children’s Emotional Health and Wellbeing Service
  • Assessment and diagnosis of autistic spectrum conditions (through referrals made by a Speech and Language Therapist, Paediatrician, SENCO or Educational Psychologist)
  • Home-Start Family Support
  • Healthy child vitamins
  • Safety in the Home
  • Safety Rangers

To access services there are two options:

  • Visit the website at
  • Call 0300 304 5555
    The phoneline is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for all enquiries, support requests and appointment information.